"Honestly, I’m just extremely frustrated. Here I am on this social network for college students and professionals alike and I’m SO tired of the wipe-me-down’s, my-swag-is-so-official’s, mr/ms lenox’s (wtf?), fresh-to-death’s, etc, etc. Now I don’t want to be that pompous person who thinks he knows everything…but I sort of have the credibility to do so. Jus sayin. Now, I believe in personal style and I know there are things that other people look great in that I could never pull off (honestly, I was shocked too), but what I see missing a lot of the times are the fundamentals of dressing. So I felt as though I needed to comprise a list of do’s and dont’s I believe people should be aware of.”
DO’s 1. Have personal style- there’s nothing I hate more than swagger jacker (and the word swagger :/ ). Every nigga can not be like Kanye West (because you can’t afford Hermes or Balmain) or Lil’ Wayne nor can every bitch look like Rihanna or Beyonce. For instance If hip-hop/urban style is your thing, do that, but don’t try to imitate what you see in a music video. Your perpetrating, and you should be ashamed . YOUR STYLE SHOULDN’T BE SOMEONE ELSES, hence the name.
2. BE CONFIDENT- Know you the shit in what you got on (regardless of what people like me think ***although my ethos is always on point***). Take a chance, be unconventional, and be bold! HBCU’S have been shiitin on us for TOO long. (I mean…we are the ones that will get the job LOL jkjpjkjpjk)
3. Know your body type- seriously. Wear your size. All the guys who think they wear a size 38 waist, you don’t. FIT IS THE MOMST IMPORTANT THING THAT CAN MAKE OR BREAK ONES APPEARANCE. In fact I encourage everyone to have a tailor. Everyone should know their measurements. (im tired of seeing 5’8’’ niggaz wit 32’’ inseams). Whether it’s Mei Ling at your local dry cleaner or the Romanians at Nordstrom, build that relationship. For you ladies out there, this includes getting fitted for the right size bra. You will be amazed at the difference correct support can make. Here are some quick tips:
a. Where a belt- preferably one that matches your shoes (unless you’ve made it to the advance level of style)
b. Dress shirts- get your damn size. The shoulder seam SHOULD NOT fall below yours houlder. Niggaz. c. Pleated pants- completely unflattering unless you’re a size 2 woman. Pleats were made to give extra room in the hips, which in most cases are making you look like a fat ass. No offense
4. Go for that extra piece- but don’t do the most. See how far a scarf (not that fuckin wet seal hounds tooth shit everybody killin. Go for Etro ), some bangles, rings, necklaces, gloves, a jacket, a hat, a watch can take your white tee and jeans.
5. Google color theory- understand what colors complement/contrast with one another. My extra chocolate sistahs; baby blue isn’t the best color eyeshadow for you, nor should my red bones where yellow or red eye shadow unless your going for the sick jaundice/HIV look. Jus sayin.
6. CARE- first impressions mean a lot and you will get judged in the first 30 seconds.
7. Iron your clothes- we’re all adults here.
8. Preserve your sexy- i.e. keep carmex, lotion, gum/mints, brush/comb/durag on deck. Also*** discover the power of an exfoliator and use it 3-4 times a week. DO NOT put body lotion/cocoa butter/Vaseline on your face.
9. Smell good- why not?
10. Work out- exercising is essential for longevity and why not feel good inside as well as you look outside. All my “thick” ladies, even you have to workout to maintain your “thickness” because that shit will manifest into “sagness” unless you keep it tight
DON’T’s 1. Think you’re fresh when you…
a. Shop at Lenox- I dare you to go across the street to Phipps. I didn’t think so. b. Where Polo- at least get it from Ralph Lauren. IN YOUR SIZE. i. ***U.S. Polo Association is not made by Ralph Lauren. c. Wear Sperry top-siders- I don’t know who came up with that shit. d. By exactly what you see on a mannequin- I can tell and I will judge you. e. Think Coach/Dooney and Burke is super fresh- its not. It’s just regular. I dare you to find that shit in Milan. You won’t. f. Wear a vest. Super played out unless worn properly
2. Be so matchy matchy- ladies, your head band should not match your plastic necklace that matches your plastic bracelet that matches your plastic earrings that matches your shoes. Understand color and pattern palettes.
3. Wear skinny jeans IF…- your waist is larger than a 34 :/
4. Be a “baby girl”- a term I got from Dakia McCray. You know you’re a baby girl when:
a. Most of your clothes are from Rainbow or Body Central b. You own shirts that say dumb shit like “baby girl”. “princess”, Brooklyn”, etc c. You wear anything bedazzled but not to be confused with grommets or spikes. d. You wear 3 inch (TOPS) colored stiletto heals. e. Your hair is a color no human could ever produce i.e. ghetto-boo-burgandy f. You wear gauchos or terry cloth track suits g. You have a pair of KSwiss, Reebok Classics (depends), or Filas h. Your nails are extra long, fake, and airbrushed i. Wear colored contacts, especially if you black as fuck j. Brush AND gel your “baby” hair
5. Be a label whore- thrift shopping, while you should have the aid of someone who knows what they’re doing, will definitely set you apart. Express may have some high price points but they’re apparel quality is shit. Also never shop at Abecrombie/Hollister; they are manufactured at the same place as Kmart brands yet 3 times the price. Besides they have no real design aesthetic. Really get what you pay for.
6. Wear any kind of suit you think Steve Harvey would wear:
a. Do not Wear boxed shirt and tie sets- learn how to tie a tie/bow tie/ascot b. Do not Wear rubber soled shoes with a suit or dress pants for that matter c. Again, don’t wear pleats- go for flat front pants or tab front closure d. Do not Wear square toed shoes- go for a classic oxford, monk strap, loafer, or driver e. Do not Shop at Men’s Warehouse. I HATE HATE HATE American designer suits. Google English drape or Italian suits. I encourage you, if you want to look like the shit for not a lot of money, go to Zara, Club Monaco (get that student discount), or Mark Shale. f. Again, GET A TAILOR g. Say no to Stacey Adams and faux croc. h. Suits should be wool. thats it.
7. Get a texturizer- in no case should a nigga get a perm. Period.
8. Wear every color that’s in your shoes
9. Wear air force ones- go for Nike dunks or Blazers. I’ll respect you more.
10. Wear knock offs- we ALL know MOST of you can not afford Gucci or Louis Vuitton and for damn sure cant afford Chanel. At least build up some style ethos AND THEN put on that fake Gucci wallet and we MIGHT believe you.
11. Hold on to that trend niggaz was doing a year ago, like:
a. The snow boot- Kill YOURSELF b. The hounds tooth scarf- you already know c. Metallics- especially ladies with the woven belts :/ d. Members only jackets- extra played e. Tattoo-art graphics- Ed Hardy/ Christian Audigier= not that hot f. Feminine denim- jeans with shit on the back pocket whether it’s a dragon or some script. Death to True Religion and Rock and Republic. Stick to the basics people.
12. Be afraid to tuck in your shirt, niggaz- We’re adults now. And if you do, don’t pull slack out and muffin drape it over your pants.
13. Wear dirty sneakers- get you a toothbrush and a rag just for your kicks.
the gas’d family continues to grow. check out this AMAZING improvised track done by the beautiful songbird nikko-soul partnered with chris young. soundwaves produced by my man nevin, guitars by joel van d and joe g. i keep this track on repeat constantly. enjoy.
so okay, i’ve done the blog thing before. yeah, i’ve had a couple actually. lets not talk about that. i don’t even know why i subscribed to this tumblr thing. i don’t even know what tumblr is. whatever. uhm so yeah… welcome. please take your shoes off at the door. expect everything, and expect nothing. see how scatterbrained i am? this is milahbsays.